Colombo Good market
This week will be the final Colombo Good Market for 2016. Starting January 7th the Colombo Market will be once again be open every Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in the Nuga Tree Car Park at the Colombo Racecourse. The stall layout is online here. New vendors and holiday specials at the Colombo market this week. Come check it out!
10 to 12 - Morning chillout music by Senses
12 to 1– Deep house by Gaia
1 to 1.30 - Music by Sabra
1.30 to 3 - Deep house by Gaia
3 to 4 - Live music by Clyide and friends
4 to 5 - Nature Kids urban eco adventure with ECO-V (meet at Stall A11)
4.30 to 6 - Community open mic
* Waste for Life works with communities in Negombo and Jaffna to encourage recycling of plastic waste, fabric waste and banana fiber. Check out the products of community recycling in Stall B10 including wallets, coaster,s notebooks, light fittings and more.
* Organics by Vault joins the market this week with a selection of organic certified food items sourced from the United Kingdom and which cannot, at present, be organically produced locally. Welcome them in Stall B5 and support their plans to donate a percent of profits to local farming communities living with chronic kidney disease.
* The German Bakery is bringing their specialisation in European cakes and traditional Sri Lankan bibikkan to the market in Stall B9 with a special range of holiday baked goods this week.
* Deen the Bookman has a new selection of collectible books for Christmas, children's books and rare novels in Stall A1
* Booteek will be giving away free holiday finger puppets that double up as Christmas tree decorations with any purchase over Rs. 500 in Stall A5.
* Organico Guru is offering 10% off entire bills with imported organic products ranging from organic juices, pastas, vinegars, canned beans, snacks and more in Stall D7
* Check out Yummy Goodness’, delicious star passion jam and other slow cooked jams, marmalade & chutney's made out of local and sustainably sourced ingredients. Available at the Good Market Shop and Saturday Good Market, Stall F4.
* Saaraketha will be offering a 10% discount on their organic mango in Stall F4
* Have a plant-friendly, plastic-free holiday season with Secret Garden in Stall B2. Choose from their collection of succulents and cacti for an unique ‘Christmas tree’ which will keep growing and bringing cheer for years.
* Dr PPARs has Chlorella sorokiniana microalgae nutritional supplement tablets which help modulate the immune system, lower cholesterol and blood sugar, and support detoxification. Visit them in Stall A7
* Eyecatching has new wooden signs to suit your unique gift giving needs. Find them in Stall B2
* Ketsa is offering a seasonal discount of 10% on their selection of responsibly-made apparel in Stall C9.
* Ceylon Art Gallery has oil paintings and watercolors that focus on nature, rural life, women, and Sri Lanka's cultural heritage in Stall C1
* Paper Crafts by Judy has her Christmas cards, keytags, desktop organizers and more all handmade with paper in Stall C3. Judy is a cancer patient who uses recycled paper, plastic and other waste materials to create handmade cards, key tags, picture frames and housewares. Proceeds are used for her continued treatment and her daughter's schooling.
* Dawn's Homemade Products has healthy chutneys and pickles made using natural and organic ingredients from small-scale local suppliers and other Good Market vendors in Stall E2
* Rice & Carry is in their final week of the 50 for 1 single-use plastic reduction campaign. Bring over any single-use plastic bags to the Rice & Carry bin in Stall A5 and for every 50 clean bags, adults will get a free reusable veggie bag. Kids will get a free pencil case.
* Monique's Gourmet Food has a special selection of holiday goodies including Yule log, shortbread stars and mince pies in Stall A3.
* Visit Studio Stitch for handmade holiday accessories and gift-ables in Stall A9
* Try on handmade, handloom footwear by Pedals in Stall C7. A portion of all profits is contributed to the Rotaract Club of Colombo Fort to assist underprivileged families, children, and elders in Colombo, Kaduwela, and Jaffna.
* Trained blind therapists from Thusare Talking Hands will be providing head, neck, shoulder, and foot massages in Stall B11.
Galle Good Market
The Galle Good Market is open every Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in Court Square, Galle Fort. The stall layout is online here. There is a new vendor in Galle this week. Come out and show your support!
10 to 12 - Community open mic
12 to 3 - Chill out music by Minushka
2 to 3 - Play for Peace by NexGEN
Local chapter of global Play for Peace movement uses cooperative play to spread compassion, respect and create non-threatening spaces for connection among children and adults.
3 to 4 - Fort Stunt RiderZ showcase thrilling stunts and bike skills
3 to 4 - Free mehendi for kids by Mini Mehendi World
4 to 6 - Community open mic
* Nayana Plants will be joining the market in Stall A5 with indoor plants in coir and clay pots.
* Sevens Eco is having an exclusive pre-Christmas sale with upto 50% off on handmade, washable, handloom shoes. Senior ladies over 65 years of age are invited to choose a pair of shoes at no cost. Visit them in Stall A6
* Kanchi Crafts has unique coconut shell and seashell jewelry in Stall A3
*Greenfield Organic Life will have a range of authentic, organic Sri Lankan spices in Stall A5
* Moonshadow will be bringing down organic vegetables and herbs from Good Market approved producers in Nuwara Eliya. Pick up carrots, leeks, potato, cabbage, kale, rosemary, thyme, lavender and much more in Stall A2.
* Gami Gedara Spice has a range of natural, homemade spice blends including roasted curry powder, crab & prawn curry mix, chicken curry mix and beef curry mix in Stall D3.
* Nethroo Masks has traditional wooden paintings and masks in Stall C2
* Dudley Silva Batiks has handmade batik clothing and housewares in Stall C1.
* K&D Lace Creations has handmade beeralu lace clothing, accessories, and housewares in Stall A3. They will also be branching out to include food products this week.
* Chami Foods has homemade fresh hoppers, manioc and sambol, string hoppers, and more in Stall A5.
* Place a custom order or peruse the selection of polished all natural kithul wood and coconut wood housewares by Lion Kithul Wood in Stall A4.
* FriendzHome in Stall B2 has quality second-hand clothing, jewelry, toys, housewares, books and more at great prices. Have things at home that you aren’t using? Bring them to Friends Home and they’ll sell them for you. 25% of sales go to support a child with special needs. Call Kumudu at 0774301399 to learn more
* Rainforest Foods has certified organic tea, spices, moringa powder, garcinia powder, mangosteen powder, and pure kithul syrup and jaggery in Stall B1
* Nidahasa Cooperative has upcycled sari bags, clothing, bed covers and accessories in Stall A4. Support this social enterprise to provide a living wage to more southern women.
* Ceylon Tafel has fresh tropical fruit juice, ice-cold popsicles, village style rice and curry, roti, kiribath, manioc, sweet potato cutlets and more in Stall B2
* You can find Good Market products from other regions in Stall D1 and D2 including upcountry organic vegetables, teas, pastas, organic spices, soaps, lotions, natural snacks and much more. See something you like in the Good Market shop promotions? Call the shop team at 0773772122 and ask them to bring it down to Galle.
Good Market Shop
The Good Market organic and natural food shop is open every day across the street from the Colombo Saturday Good Market at the Racecourse. The shop operates as a not-for-profit social enterprise and has products from more than 70 Good Market approved vendors. New deliveries for this Saturday include:
* Organic raw cacao powder, organic fruit snack bars, teas and spices from Organic Life
* New tomato basil bath soap from Aurelia Soapworks
* SheCups, reusable menstrual cups are back in stock.
* New face and body scrubs and dark-circle treatment oil from Esther's
* Charcoal odor absorbers, laundry powder and essential oils (lavendar, eucalyptus, peppermint, tea tree and more) from Moonshadow
* Natural soaps, face wash, body wash, insect repellant, massage oils, baby shampoo and pet shampoo from Green Leaf Herbals
* Organic certified rigatoni pasta, kurukkan rigatoni pasta, conchiglie pasta, rotelle pasta, organic noodles, coconut milk, red lentil, mango and mustard soup,creamed pumpkin soup, curry powder and ground pepper from Ma's Foods
* Black currant chutney, seeni sambal chutney, tempered banana blossom and mushroom, prawnilicious chilli paste and apple and beetroot chutney from Mani Elirange.
* Get a recipe for mulled wine with every pack of organic cinnamon powder from Amuura
* Coconut butter, coconut flour and virgin coconut oil from Coconut Miracle
* Buttermilk chillies, dried Maldive fish, Gymnema tea, bees honey, panattu, palmyrah jaggery and more from Northern Palmyrah
* Belimal tea, kithul flour, kithul jaggery and kithul treacle from Haritha Lanka
* Goji berries, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, white quinoa, tri-coloured quinoa, brown quinoa, hazelnuts and more from What on Earth
* Organic certified virgin coconut oil, fruit salad, pineapple juice and mixed fruit juice from Govi Aruna Organics
* Organic certified black tea, green tea, coconut milk, white rice flour and red rice flour, cinnamon sticks and cinnamon powder from Bio Foods
* Baked atta chips from Saffron Persian Delights
* Almond butter, cashew butter and vegan protein shake from Soul Food
* Ambarella chutney from Sylvan Heritage
* All natural citronella fragrance candles from Fone Candles
* All natural dark Arabica ground coffee and pure Arabica ground coffee from Hansa Ceylon Coffee
* Mango ginger jam, organic lemongrass tea, spiced chai tea, pan roasted coffee beans and more from Amba Estate
* Freshly baked brownies, vegan double chocolate cookies, oat & chocolate chip cookies, carrot & orange cake, vegan banana cake, tomato & cheese quiche, carrot & butternut tart and date & oat bar from Milk and Honey Cafe
* Meatless vege burgers, sausages, nuggets and more from Supersun
* Chicken from Amiron Farms
* Tuna chunks, sardinella, crab meat and peeled prawns from Ceylon Catch
Sri Lanka Blog
The Good Market Sri Lanka blog includes updates on the Saturday Good Market event, the Good Market Reid Avenue and Battaramulla shops, and the Sri Lankan community.