Good Market is 4!
In December 2012, Good Market started a weekly event in Colombo with 32 social enterprises and responsible businesses. Over the past 4 years, the community has grown to more than 350 vendors throughout Sri Lanka (and beyond!), a second weekly market in Galle, and thousands of regular supporters at the shop, online, and at the weekly events.
It’s truly inspiring to see the growing local interest in sustainable lifestyles, the demand for responsible products and services, and the creativity of local entrepreneurs who want to create a better world.
As part of this year’s birthday celebrations, Good Market is rolling out the first phase of a new online platform. Join us this Saturday at the Colombo Racecourse, the Galle Fort, or the Lakpahana Courtyard shop to check out the new site and help celebrate an amazing 4 years!
Colombo Good Market
The Colombo Good Market is open every Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in the Nuga Tree Car Park at the Colombo Racecourse. The stall layout is online here. We've got new canopies, new shade covers, and new vendors at the Colombo market this week. Come check it out!
10 to 11 - Morning chillout music by Izuru
11 to 12 - Live music by Shehan
12 to 1 - Good Market Birthday quiz competition
1 to 1:30 - Cooking demonstration by Kumar
1:30 to 2:30 - Classic R&B by Senses
2.30 to 3 - Good Market Birthday celebration
3 to 4 - Live music by Shehan and Jayanga
4 to 4.30 Free public talk on Conscious Consumption talk by Kanchana Weerakoon
4:30 to 5:30 - Nature Kids urban eco adventure with ECO-V (meet at Stall A12)
4:30 to 5:30 - Good Market Birthday quiz competition
5:30 to 6 - Community open mic
* Have gently used books and toys to donate? Project MAD - Make a Difference will be in Stall F3 as part of their annual donation drive
* New vendor Grain Food joins the market with fibre rich breakfasts of overnight oats,rice flakes and fruits and selection of midday bites ranging from grain burgers,fish burgers and vegetarian Spanish wraps. They will also have multi-grain cupcakes,grain bread loaves and garlic kurakkan bread in Stall A6.
* Sylvan Heritage joins the market for the first time with a fabulous range of eco chic upcycled fashion accessories, delicate lace necklaces and earrings, hand painted ethnic pottery necklaces , healing stone pendants and many more gorgeous handicrafts exquisitely hand made by women craft-makers of Sri Lanka using local resources and creativity. Visit them in Stall D4
* New vendor Pedals brings their “guilt-free garments” mission to the market with their selection of unique, handloom footwear in Stall C8. They contribute a portion of all profits to the Rotaract Club of Colombo Fort to assist underprivileged families, children, and elders in Colombo, Kaduwela, and Jaffna.
* AMMA Lanka, a social enterprise connected with Child Action Lanka, will have scarves, shawls, children's clothing, and housewares handmade using natural, plant-based dyes and environmentally responsible textiles in Stall B2.
* New vendor Monique's Gourmet Food makes natural cakes, granola, fruit bars, muffins, cookies and more in a solar powered facility that focuses on environmentally responsible practices. They will have baked crab, blueberry lemon cake, coconut pie, orange poppy seed cake and more in Stall C3
* Millennium Elephant Foundation will be in Stall B10 this week with Eco Maximus paper products and information on their volunteer programs and Elephant Walk experiences
* Ma's Happy Life Kitchen will be in Stall C5 with a range of organic spices, pastas and more.
* Poori's is back this week with their atta chapatti, noodles, masala dosa, stuffed idly and other healthy Indian treats in Stall D11.
* Organico Guru is offering 10% off entire bills with imported organic products ranging from mayonnaise, salsa, orange juice, snack bars and more in Stall D8
* Rice & Carry is in the second week of their 50 for 1 single-use plastic reduction campaign. Have a collection of plastic bags at home? Bring them to the Rice & Carry bin in Stall A5. For 50 clean bags dropped off over the next three weeks, adults will get a free reusable veggie bag. Kids will get a free pencil case made from old plastic bags.
* Out of the Box is collecting second-hand t-shirts, sleeveless blouses, and other unwanted printed fabrics in Stall A4. These will be repurposed to create reusable bags to replace single-use, disposable plastic shopping bags. The making of the bags provides much needed income to a low-income mother. Drop off your fabrics and browse their selection of hand crafted, unique bags and clutches.
* Saaraketha is offering 10% discount on organic KC mango at Stall F5
* Ketsa is offering a seasonal discount of 10% on their selection of responsibly-made apparel in Stall C10.
* Ceylon Art Gallery has oil paintings and watercolors that focus on nature, rural life, women, and Sri Lanka's cultural heritage in Stall C1.
* ECO-V will have sustainably harvested bamboo cups, kolapath plates, bamboo and cinnamon wood key tags, naturally dyed cotton clothing, essential oils and oil burners. They also have thulsi, mint, basil, red spinach, pomegranate, aloe vera, curry leaves, passion fruit and ginger “plants as friends” available for a donation in Stall A12.
*Deen the Bookman has a new selection of collectible books for Christmas, children's books and rare novels in Stall A1
* Check out new and delicious mixed cherry jam from Yummy Goodness along with other slow cooked jams, marmalades & chutneys made out of locally and sustainably sourced ingredients. Available at the Good Market Shop and Saturday Good Market Stall F5.
Galle Good Market
The Galle Good Market is open every Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm (rain or shine!) in Court Square, Galle Fort. The stall layout is online here. There are 2 new vendors in Galle this week. Come out and show your support!
10 to 12 - Community open mic
12 to 3 - Chill out music by Minushka
2 to 3 - Play for Peace practice session
3 to 4 - Free mehendi for kids by Mini Mehendi World
4 to 6 - Community open mic
* New vendor Moonshadow will be in Stall C4 with their range of natural, better-for-you personal care and cleaning supplies including laundry powder, liquid soap, dish soap and mosquito repellent balm.
* New vendor Tea Connoisseurs Delight will be coming all the way from the Sinharaja rainforest region with their organic certified tea. Find them in Stall A3
* Nethroo Masks is back with traditional wooden paintings and masks in Stall B3
* Greenfield Organic Life is bringing a selection of dehydrated tropical organic fruits and organic fruit bars to Stall B4. Stock up on some healthy snacks which are yummy, handy, gluten-free and vegan
* Dudley Silva Batiks has handmade batik clothing and housewares in Stall A1.
* Chami Foods has homemade fresh hoppers, manioc and sambol, string hoppers, and more in Stall A2.
* Place a custom order or peruse the selection of polished all natural kithul wood and coconut wood housewares by Lion Kithul Wood in Stall B2.
* Sevens Eco has a selection of cotton handloom clothing and accessories in Stall A4.
* FriendzHome in Stall C4 has quality second-hand clothing, jewelry, toys, housewares, books and more at great prices. Have things at home that you aren’t using? Bring them to Friends Home and they’ll sell them for you. 25% of sales go to support a child with special needs. Call Kumudu at 0774301399 to learn more
* Rainforest Foods has certified organic tea, spices, moringa powder, garcinia powder, mangosteen powder, and pure kithul syrup and jaggery in Stall B1
* Nidahasa Cooperative has upcycled sari bags, clothing, bed covers and accessories in Stall B4. Support this social enterprise to provide a living wage to more southern women.
* Ceylon Tafel has fresh tropical fruit juice, ice-cold popsicles, village style rice and curry, roti, kiribath, manioc, sweet potato cutlets and more in Stall C4
* You can find Good Market products from other regions in Stall C2 and C3 including upcountry organic vegetables, teas, peanut butter, organic spices, personal and home care products, natural snacks and much more. See something you like in the Good Market shop promotions? Call the shop team at 0773772122 and ask them to bring it down to Galle.
Good Market Shop
The Good Market organic and natural food shop is open every day across the street from the Colombo Saturday Good Market at the Racecourse. The shop operates as a not-for-profit social enterprise and has products from more than 70 Good Market approved vendors. New deliveries for this Saturday include:
*Organic certified pineapple, mango, banana, fruit n nut, cacao snack bars, coconut sugar, cardamom, cinnamon, curry powder, ginger powder, coconut pineapple spread, coconut ginger spread and coconut cacao spread from Greenfield Organic Life
*Organic certified coconut chips, coconut milk drink, coconut milk powder, coconut dessicated, coconut spread and creamed coconut from Cocomi Bio Organics
*All natural kithul Syrup, kithul jaggery, kithul flour, thalaguli and belimal tea from Haritha Lanka
*Fragranced, insect-repellant candles from Fone Candles, ideal for this mozzie season!
*All natural mosquito repellent balms, odor absorber, laundry powder, liquid soap, dishwashing soap and essential oils from Moonshadow
*All natural apple & beetroot chutney, prawn chillie paste and banana blossom & mushroom mix from ManiEli
*All natural smooth Ceylon ground coffee, Indulgence ground coffee and medium roast coffee bags from Soul Coffee
*Maldive dried fish, sesame oil, mustard oil, bee honey, palmyrah syrup and palmyrah jaggery from Northern Palmyrah Trading
*All natural sea salt from Saviya Cooperative Society
*Freshly harvested salad leaves and rocket leaves from Uva Forest Gardens and mixed lettuce and baby spinach from Nature Farms
*Fresh buffalo curd and plain yogurt from Renusha
*Free range eggs from Malpotha Farm and Via Village
*Chicken from Amiron Farms
Sri Lanka Blog
The Good Market Sri Lanka blog includes updates on the Saturday Good Market event, the Good Market shop and deli, and the Sri Lankan community.